Burpees – the best exercise in the world. Really?
OK, call me strange, but stick with me and I will explain why Burpees are the best exercise in the world. But first up, what is a Burpee?
To perform the basic Burpee, just do the following:
- Start in the standing position
- Drop down into a squat position with your hands on the floor in front of you
- Kick your feet back to form a push up position
- Immediately return your feet to the squat position
- Leap up as high as possible from the squat position
I know that this sounds pretty much like “squat thrusts”, but the key difference, and that which makes it the ultimate conditioning exercise, is the leap at the end.
Perform them in quick succession and marvel at the Awesomeness of the Burpee.
5 Reasons why Burpees are Awesome and the Best Exercise in the World
- You Can Do Them Anywhere. The Burpee is the ultimate, portable, do anywhere exercise. Do them in the park, at home, in a hotel room, at the airport, on the beach… You name the place, the exercise can be done anywhere.
- They Are Free. Yes, it is totally free. I did 600 Burpees this morning in my local park and it cost me zip, nadda, nothing.
- Great For Strength. The Burpee uses the strength in your chest, arms, thighs, hamstrings and abs. It is almost impossible to find another exercise that does all that.
- Fat Burning. Done properly, the Burpee can be used as a pretty intense workout. I will share some of my Burpee Workouts in another post. Studies show that High Intensity Training (HIT), like Burpees, burn up to 50% more fat that conventional strength training exercises. You get the additional benefit that Burpees can speed up your metabolism, leading to burning more calories throughout the day.
- Most People Fear Burpees. Be different from everyone else and Love Burpees. In return for your love, the Burpee will give you some great, real life fitness, that you can you use everyday.
So there you have it. I love Burpees, always have and always will. Ultimately, they will make you stronger.